Running away from Diabetes

More than 10 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was not surprised - diabetes had been a part of my life ever since I could remember. My brother José, 10 years older than me, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 9 years old. As I grew older, I found out that a sister of mine whom I did not get to meet had died of complications related to diabetes at age 3. Years later, my 5 year old niece was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and my own mother received her Type 2 diagnosis soon after we moved to Chicago. To me, it was just a matter of time until I was diagnosed.

My diagnosis came as a result of my inability to lose weight. I had joined a gym, hired a trainer, made some changes to my eating habits, and yet, I was not able to lose much weight. Concerned, I went to my doctor and explained my symptoms. She recommended a battery of tests which came back with a diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS, in turn, is associated with diabetes. I had many, if not all, of the symptoms, the most annoying ones being weight gain and obesity. I was put on birth control, which took care of my abnormal menstrual cycles, but not much was done about my diabetes.

I had many of these symptoms, but I never related them
to having Diabetes. Do you have any of these?
It was not until I switched doctors to my current Primary Care Physician, whom I love, that we started discussing the issue of diabetes and what to do about it. Luckily for me, my A1C was not too high, so there was no immediate need to do much about it. "Diet and exercise is key," Dr. Nance told me, and for a while I did as she said. But as it happens, I careened away and fell prey to my weakness: carbohydrates without control, particularly white bread. Ah, how do I love a warm piece of french bread in the morning with my coffee! I indulged. And I paid the price.

At my next visit, my A1C was significantly high, and Dr. Nance. recommended that I start using medication. I fear medications; to me, the moment I start medication is where I relinquish control of my health. I did not want to do it, I wanted to postpone it as much as I could. In consultation with Dr. Nance, we agreed to give it another try, and I set out to get control of my diabetes through diet and exercise. After 3 months, I was back on track with my A1C, but it was still higher than what Dr. Nance suggested. I set out to do more, and tightened on my keeping track on the amount of carbs I had on my diet, maintaining an average of 45 grams of carbs per meal.

That's me, slowly but steadily running away
from diabetes. I can do it!
That was in December. Two weeks ago I returned to see Dr. Nance for my 3-month follow up appointment. As usual, we talked about family, work, stress, diet and exercise. And then I got my blood drawn for my A1C. I have to say that I was ready for the worst possible news. I was ready to go to the pharmacy and get my prescription for meds. After all, I have had diabetes for about 10 years now and had always been told that it is only a matter of time until you get to that point. Next day I got a call from my doctor. "Rosa," she says when I answer, "I got great news for you. Your A1C is at 5.8, which is great! You are almost at the non-diabetic level!" I was elated with these news. I am close to reaching my goal, and farther away from having to take medication for diabetes. Furthermore, now I don't have to go to see my doctor every 3 months as usual, but every 6 months instead. And if after a year I keep my number low, I can see her on a yearly basis. That is now my next goal.

Yeah, I will keep running. And I know I will move from being slow to being faster. And I will continue moving closer to my goal of reversing my diabetes diagnosis. I am focused. I am strong. I have support. I can do it!

Happy, healthy, stronger - that is me!





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Gracias, Glory! Más contenta que un perro con dos rabos. Y pa'lante como el elefante. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2018 is indeed my year! - A report on Resolution #1

Moving Forward

Is that you, Rosa?